Information about Sand Key Lighthouse, FL
Sand Key Lighthouse is located to the southwest of Key West, FL in the Lower Florida Keys. The lighthouse is flanked by Sand Key Channel and Rock Key Channel and marks a reef that at times has been covered in enough sand to have trees and home thousands of terns (1900). The original lighthouse and lighthouse keeper’s quarters were destroyed in the Great Havana Hurricane in 1846, after which a ship called Honey served as a temporary lightship in its place. The lighthouse was automated and rebuilt with screw-pile foundation and open framework that allows it to fare well in storms. The light was deactivated in 2015.